Laser Periodontal Therapy
Laser Periodontal Therapy is a new standard for treating periodontal disease. The laser-based method offers an alternative to the traditional periodontal treatment that requires scalpel and suture gum surgery. The laser method is less invasive because there is no cutting or stitching which means less pain and faster recovery.
Our office is the first in Rockville to offer Laser Periodontal Therapy using LANAP®. LANAP® stands for Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure and is the first and only FDA-approved laser procedure for the treatment of gingivitis and/or periodontitis. This procedure, utilizing the PerioLase® MVP-7 laser, is illustrated below.
- Probe for gum disease and measure gum pocket depth
- Remove bacteria and diseased tissue with laser
- Remove tartar on tooth root surface with ultrasonic scaler and special hand instruments
- Clean gum pocket and create blood clot with laser
- Compress gum to root surface to promote healing
- Adjust bite trauma
- Healthy tooth/gum restored
Additional information about LANAP® and the PerioLase® laser can be found at the Millennium Dental Technologies, Inc. website.